Thursday, May 17, 2012

Two little girls and supernatural love...

     On the day that the dirty, angry, challenging little four year old girl walked into the door of Husky Club, God knit her tight into my heart. Her name is Cynthia, and I loved for her from the moment we met. It was supernatural, because she was not an easy child to love. But she reminded me so much of my niece Tiffany. Another little 4 year old who was knitted deep inside my heart. Seeing Cynthia sent me reeling back in time.
     I was suddenly back in my living room in Oklahoma with my kids and my niece Tiffany. She stayed with us for a season while my sister was at work and she took her an immediate and rightful place into my heart and into my family.
     Cynthia had the same haircut as Tiff did at that age. They had the same huge brown eyes, precocious nature, awkward clumsiness, and huge vocabulary.
    And, just like Tiffany, Cynthia's father had walked away, leaving her broken. And her Mother was a mess.
      I see God's heart very clearly in this. It is not a coincidence. God knew that I would fall in love with Cynthia despite everything because of how much she looked like Tiffany. And He was right. I waltzed right in and fell hard.
     God knew that Cynthia and her mother needed someone to love them and He chose me for the job. He knew that the deep love I had for the first little 4 year old dark headed challenging girl, would blossom again in my heart for this new one. And it did. 
     Cynthia spends the night with Paul and I from time to time just like Tiffany used to. The last time was a week ago and I still haven't put her bed away.
     Last Friday morning Cynthia was unusually quiet as I drove her the 40 miles to school. When I glanced in the rear view mirror to check on her, I saw Tiffany sitting there, and God's quiet voice laid a word on my spirit. "Remember." he said.
     Quiet tears ran down my cheeks for the remainder of the drive as God reminded me of the prayers I had prayed for Tiffany over the years. Her life too had been full of struggle, but I knew in that moment that God had heard every cry of her heart. I felt his love for her, and he reminded me of His promises for her life. Then there Cynthia sitting there and God reminded me of His love for her too. I could not fix all the things broken in  thiis little girls life, or her Mothers. But I could love them, pray for them, and trust God for the        rest.   
     And when He reminded me of the words he whispered to me just a few weeks before, I pulled into the school wiping tears off my cheeks. And as I opened the door for the little girl who sat in the back of my car, my smile was full and deep.
     Cynthia's hand was inside mine as we walked to the classroom, but between them, in that small space that held us together was so much more. There was faith for her life inside our hands. There was hope for God's promises over it.
     When I got home that night I sent Tiffany a text telling her that God had spoken to me about her life that day. That I felt his love for her, and that he reminded me of his promises for redemption over her life.
     Right after I sent the text, I opened an email from my sister, Kay, Tiffany's mother, telling me that Tiff had located her grandmother and grandfather. These were people Tiffany had never met. They were 94 and 97 and she would be meeting with them this week.
     My tears began all over again so humbled by God's presence and power. Why am I still so surprised, I wondered.  Isn't this who God is? Isn't this what God does? Wasn't he just reminding me of these promises that very morning because he knew how much I loved my niece?
     In that moment, God's love for ME overwhelmed my spirit and I heard his quiet promises to me again.  "I am your redeemer. I transform hearts and breath new life."
     Tiffany was with her father's parents tonight for the very first time. And my smile...
      It is full and deep.


No comments:

Post a Comment